Date Style Preferences:
CaseFleet recognizes American, European and International date styles. Administrators can set the date style for your firm's account by visiting Firm Settings > Overview and selecting an option from the "date style" field. Once your preferred date style is selected, it will be visible to all users in the account.
Date Types and Fuzzy Dates
When creating facts, you might not always have all of the information you need about when a fact occurred. Date types help you discern which of your facts have dates you know vs. dates you don't.
When you add a date, you can decide whether to limit the date to a year, a month and year, or a month day and year. The following examples are all valid ways of entering a date for a fact:
- 12/3/2015 - The fact occurred December 3, 2015.
- 3/2012 - The fact occurred sometime in March of 2012.
- 2011 - The fact occurred sometime in 2011.
There are also 7 date types to choose from, allowing you to create fuzzy dates, date ranges, a specific order of dates, etc.:
- On: This is the default date selector. When you know a fact has occurred on a particular date, use this date type.
- Ordered: Sometimes facts are organized vaguely in the order in which they occurred. When this happens, select "Ordered" and the best approximate the date. This will add an "Order" field that can be used to arrange facts relative to one another.
- Around: Used to signify and approximate the date of the fact.
- After: Another approximation, this one to show the fact occurred sometime after a specific date.
- Before: Used to approximate the date and time for a fact to show the fact occurred sometime before a date.
- From To: Sometimes a fact represents a range of dates. For example, a fact might occur starting January 1, 2018 and end March 31, 2018. You can use "From To" to represent this range of dates.
- Between: Used to approximate a date using two other dates as landmarks for the fact.
Your facts will order themselves based on the type of date selected and the date (and time) selected for the type. Here's an example of how different dates look in CaseFleet:
Note: Be sure to set the time zone for your case if you have time sensitive facts occurring in different geographic locations. To set the case time zone, click the pencil icon to the right of the case name. To edit a time zone for a particular fact, click the time zone button that appears after you fill out the time field in the fact form: